Marijuana Considerations & Laws In South Dakota
Medical Marijuana Law:
Recreational Marijuana Law:
No Broad Laws Legalizing Marijuana*:
*In these states, marijuana is either totally illegal, or there may be laws decriminalizing possession, or use of marijuana, or, the state may have a CBD law legalizing THC at a level constituting marijuana-derived CBD.
Employers have so many questions! Learn More About Workplace Considerations for Marijuana Use.
What are the impacting issues of marijuana use? Review Our Checklist of Impacting Issues to Research.
Read more employment specific information on:
- Very harsh anti-cannabis laws.
- South Dakota SB 95 (2017) removed cannabidiol (CBD oil) from the definition of marijuana and down-graded its schedule, but sanctions only CBD oil if it is FDA-approved.
- The U.S. Farm Bill opened the door for sales of hemp-derived CBD.
Other Impacting Laws (e.g. drug testing, workers’ compensation, unemployment)
- In South Dakota, grounds to deny an unemployment claim include being discharged for failure to obey the rules of an employer, which could constitute misconduct.
- In South Dakota, an injury or death due to an employee’s intoxication can be grounds to deny workers’ compensation benefits.
- Apply the Checklist of Impacting Issues for Employee Use of Marijuana provided by NDS for additional state laws and issues that can relate to and/or impact your operations regarding employee use of marijuana.
Sources (e.g. Bill Number, Authority)
- South Dakota SB 95 – CBD related
- South Dakota Codified Laws Ann. 61-6-14 to 14.1 – Unemployment related
- South Dakota Codified Laws Ann. 62-4-37 – Workers’ compensation related