There are varying detection times involved in drug testing depending on many factors plus also the specimen type used for testing. As show on the image above hair specimens have the longest detection time followed by urine, oral fluid and finally blood. Other factors that determine drug use detection times include:
- When the individual consumed the drug
- How potent the drugs are
- Hydration levels
- Physical activity
- Body mass
- Drug detection times can be much longer for people with increased fatty tissues, because some drugs, or their metabolites, tend to accumulate in those tissues.
Common Questions we Receive on Drug Test Detection Times
- How long does marijuana stay in my system?
- If I used cocaine last weekend, will it show up in my pre-employment test?
- How long do drugs stay in my system?
The answers to these questions vary depending on many factors. Most notably these include the specimen type used for the drug test – blood, oral fluid, urine, or hair. The different drugs that we test for also have varying detection times. The chart below lists the various drugs and the approximate detection times for those drugs. It is important to note these values are not exact, they are approximate because of many different contributing factors.
Drug Test Detection Times
|Drug||Blood Specimen||Oral Fluid Specimen||Urine Specimen||Hair Specimen|
|Amphetamine||Within minutes to hours||5 – 48 hours||1 to 3 days||Up to 90 days|
|Methamphetamine||Within minutes to hours||5 – 48 hours||1 to 3 days||Up to 90 days|
|Cocaine||Within minutes to hours||5 – 48 hours||2 to 4 days||Up to 90 days|
|Phencyclidine (PCP)||Within minutes to hours||5 – 48 hours||14 days up to 30 days in chronic user||Up to 90 days|
|Marijuana||Within minutes to hours||5 – 48 hours||14 days up to 30 days in chronic user||Up to 90 days|
|Opiates||Within minutes to hours||5 – 48 hours||2 – 3 Days||Up to 90 days|
|Barbiturates||Within minutes to hours||5 – 48 hours||Short acting: 2 days, Long acting: 1 to 3 weeks||Up to 90 days|
|Benzodiazepines||Within minutes to hours||5 – 48 hours||Therapeutic dose: 3 days, Extended dosage, or chronic use (1 or more years): 4 to 6 weeks||Up to 90 days|
|Propoxyphene||Within minutes to hours||5 – 48 hours||6 hours to 2 days||Up to 90 days|
|Methadone||Within minutes to hours||5 – 48 hours||3 Days||Up to 90 days|
Related pages on Drug Test Detection Times:
- What are detection times for urine and hair drug testing?
- Drug Testing Cut off levels and detection times (includes video)
- What You Need to Know About Detection Windows
- Drug Cut Off Levels & Detection Times
- Drug Use Detection Times
Immediate drug testing is always available. Call 866-843-4545 or place an online order.