When Would You Order Urine Drug Testing?
Urine drug testing may be utilized for employment testing, personal drug testing, probation or court-ordered, and for a variety of other reasons. Our urine drug test panels are provided at SAMSHA certified laboratories. Our testing centers are available in all areas of the United States.
Below you will find many options for urine drug testing including the 5-panel drug test, 10-panel drug test, 9-panel drug test, 12-panel drug test or DOT drug test. Many of the panels include the expanded opiates which adds Hydrocodone, Hydromorphone, Oxycodone and Oxymorphone. If you need these Opioids on your drug testing panel, make sure you order a panel with expanded opiates.
Many other drug test panels are available for urine testing. You can view quite a few more on our page for ordering urine drug testing. You can call 1-866-843-4545 if you have questions or need a panel you do not see listed.
Urine drug testing can also detect nicotine or alcohol. The testing for tobacco use actually tests for cotinine which the body produces when it breaks down nicotine. Urine alcohol testing is complicated, you can learn much more on our page for alcohol testing.
Detection Times and Cut Off Levels
With urine drug testing detection times and cut off levels are important to consider. Detection times are how long the drug is in the body for detection with a urine drug test. The drug test results will show the amount of the metabolites of the drug in the urine at the time of the specimen collection. You can view our chart for detection times for various drugs on our detection times web page. With urine most drugs will not show up after 7 days. Factors that can affect detection times include:
- Body mass
- How strong was the drug?
- When was the drug used?
- How often is the drug used?
- Hydration levels
- The acidity of the urine
An example would be a very heavy user of marijuana might have THC metabolites in their system for up to 30 days.
Cut Off levels are the levels the laboratory uses to determine a positive result. When the amount of the drug metabolite is over the cut-off level, the lab reports the test as positive for that specimen. The GC-MS confirmation test will provide more accurate results including the level at which the specimen was positive. The cut off levels will be based on nanograms milliliter: ng/ml.
To learn more about cut-off levels we have a comprehensive web page on Drug Test Cut Off Levels which includes a short video and a chart for the Drug Testing Cut Off levels for the standard 5 panel drug urine test.
The cut off levels for urine come from the current version of the Mandatory Guidelines for Federal Workplace Drug Testing Programs. These guidelines are published by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) an agency of the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services.
What are the benefits of urine drug testing?
- Many options for drug testing, many drug panels available
- Reliable test for over 30 years, holds up in court
- Many collection sites available across the USA for specimen collection
- Convenient reliable SAMHSA certified labs for testing with initial screening and GC/MS confirmation testing
- The testing is painless, easy, quick, and cost-effective
- Availability of point-of-care tests (POCTs) or what we can instant onsite drug testing
- Currently only specimen allowed by regulation for DOT testing
What are the disadvantages of urine drug testing?
- Fairly show window of detection, 3 – 4 days for most drugs, marijuana can be longer especially for heavy users
- Yuck Factor, who wants to pee in a cup
- Shy bladders – some folks can’t pee on demand and this then can be a 3-hour process
- Many folks are cheating on a urine drug test, adulteration or substitute can occur
- Not recommended for alcohol testing for employer testing programs
What is the process for a urine drug test?
- Specimen collection is performed by a trained collector who visits the workplace for collection or donors go to a facility for specimen collection.
- There is chain of custody must be continuous from specimen collection to disposal of the specimen at the lab
- Specimens are transported from the specimen collector to a SAMHSA certified laboratory
- The lab performs initial testing and if the result is non-negative, a second confirmation test is performed
- Lab results are sent to the Medical Review Officer (MRO) to interpret the test results with review and verification
- The MRO transmits the final result to the employer or individual who ordered a personal test
- The MRO assists the donor in the event of a challenge to the results, this requires then a retest of the original specimen that was tested
Need Testing Today – Call us Today: 866-843-4545 – Immediate Service is Available Monday-Friday 9 am-6 pm EST (Online orders received after hours or on Saturday, Sunday, or National Holidays are processed next business day).
We are open amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
For urine drug testing, always ask that the specimen collector has received training on the urine collection process. Training is available at MyDrugTestTraining.com.
Ordering a drug test online is fast and easy and available in all areas of the United States. Our drug testing prices are reasonable and affordable, and we make sure your testing gets done right and is secure and confidential. If you don’t see the drug testing panel you need listed below, give us a call at 866-843-4545. Any type of test of illicit or legal drugs can be set up. Additional expanded health care professional panels are available for medical and hospital situations that might test for drugs such as Fentanyl, Meperidine, Tramadol and Buprenorphine.
Whether you need urine drug testing in California, Texas, New York, Miami or Montana; National Drug Screening can assist with the facilities and customer service to make it happen.
We are seeing a rise in Cocaine use throughout the United States. All the above urine drug testing panels include testing for Cocaine.
Remember that ordering a drug test in advance is the way to ensure that you will be able to get the service and testing that you need. Drug testing centers do not offer walk in drug testing services, you must have your drug test order set up in advance.
The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration or SAMHSA, is the federal agency under the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) that certified drug testing laboratories. A division of SAMHSA call Workplace Programs, oversees HHS-certified laboratories that perform forensic drug testing for federal agencies and federally regulated industries.