The Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) is broadening the scope of its existing drug and alcohol testing regulation to cover MOW employees.
Contractors with MOW employees have been receiving letters from Railroads requiring compliance. A “regulated employee” includes a contractor to a railroad or any individual who is performing activities for a railroad and includes those contractors or individuals who are deemed “maintenance-of-way” or “MOW” employees. The term maintenance-of-way (MOW) employee under the new FRA regulations means any contractor to a railroad, whose duties include inspection, construction, maintenance or repair of roadway track, bridges, roadway, signal and communications systems, electric traction systems, roadway facilities or roadway maintenance machinery on or near track or with the potential of fouling a track, and flagmen and watchmen/lookouts (MOW activities).
The rule, which is effective June 12, 2017, will require Contractors to submit a 219 Compliance Plan prior to the effective date. The plans must be submitted to and approved by the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA).
The final rule will mandate, among other things, that a Contractor establish a random testing pool in order to ensure a testing rate of 50% for drug and 25% for alcohol of its MOW employees on an annual basis.
Failure of a contractor to timely comply with the FRA regulations may subject the contractor to civil penalties.
Contractors who do not comply with the FRA regulations will not be able to work on railroad properties, and may be subject to termination of their contracts for failure to comply with applicable law.
National Drug Screening offers a complete compliance program that including writing the drug and alcohol testing plan and submittal for approval to the FRA. Other great benefits of this program include:
- Step by step instructions and all required documents – all in one great compliance manual.
- As required – A policy statement on controlled substances use and alcohol misuse in the workplace – your customized DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing Policy
- As required – educational materials to be distributed to all covered employees
- As required – supervisor training materials and access to live or on line additional supervisor training
- As required – employee assistance programs, rehabilitation, and treatment programs information.
- As required – access to Substance Abuse Professional (SAP) for DOT violations
- As required – copies of DOT and FRA regulation 49 CFR Part 40 and FRA regulation 49 CFR Part 219
- As required – A controlled substances and alcohol testing program for persons, used in FRA covered duties
- Random testing consortium and instructions required random testing.
- All required forms for compliance.
- Instructions for required record keeping.
Call today for quick easy compliance for the new FRA requirement for a drug and alcohol testing program for maintenance-of-way (MOW) employees.
New FRA – MOW Compliance Package
This DOT FRA package is for contractors with MOW employees. The package includes the FRA Part 219 required 219 Compliance Plan for drug and alcohol testing and submittal of the Plan to the FRA for approval. The package will enroll your employees into the required FRA random consortium at the required random testing rates of 25% for Alcohol and 50% for drugs. Also included is one online supervisor training as required by FRA regulations.
Click Here to Order at $695.00 specify in notes: FRA – MOW