Bio - Joe Reilly
President, National Drug Screening, Inc
Joe Reilly entered the world of drug testing in 1993 and over the last 25+ years has become a leading national expert on workplace drug testing, drug free workplace programs and specimen collections for drug tests. When asked about what he likes most about his job today, Joe stated “I do a lot of consulting and training along with expert witness testimony. I really enjoy helping others understand everything about workplace drug testing”.
Born and raised in New York City, Joe now resides in Indian Harbour Beach, Florida with his wife Robin. Joe graduated in 1979 from Manhattan College, Bronx, NY with a Bachelor of Science (Business Administration) with majors in Accounting and Marketing. Joe moved to Florida in 1981 to start his entrepreneurial journey.
When he first started in drug testing, Reilly saw an opportunity that has turned into a successful nationwide business. Employers were looking to drug test employees and in Florida this enabled companies to save 5% on workers comp insurance premiums. A few months later, Reilly learned that the United States Department of Transportation required drug & alcohol testing of transportation related private companies thus providing another opportunity.
Reilly’s Brevard County, Florida based business grew to service employers and individuals for drug testing services in all areas of the United States including Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands. In 2008 Reilly sold Florida Drug Screening to embark on more drug testing industry consulting opportunities. Joe got back in the business of operating as a third-party administrator (TPA) for drug testing programs in 2013 when he opened National Drug Screening (NDS). Recognized by the drug testing industry association (DATIA) as Nationally Accredited for Administration of Drug and Alcohol Testing Programs (NAADATP); the team at National Drug Screening helps employers implement and maintain comprehensive drug free workplace programs in compliance with industry best practices, Federal and State laws and regulations.
Joe served 2004 to 2008 as the Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Drug and Alcohol Testing Industry Association (DATIA) – the national trade organization for the drug testing industry. Based in Washington, DC; the Drug and Alcohol Testing Industry Association (DATIA) was founded in 1995 and represents the entire spectrum of drug and alcohol service providers including collection sites, laboratories, consortiums/TPAs, MROs, and testing equipment. DATIA has over 1500 members nationwide and ensures that the industry's voice is heard by key policymakers in Congress and Federal Agencies.
Currently known throughout the United States as an expert in the drug testing industry, Joe is in demand as an expert witness. He has provided consulting, speaking engagements and training programs for many organizations including the US Small Business Administration (SBA), the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP), the US Department of Education, the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), the Washington DC Department of Public Works, the Florida Office of Drug Control, the Florida Department of Corrections, the Drug and Alcohol Testing Industry Association (DATIA), the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS), the Florida Trucking Association, Florida Small Business Development Centers (SBDC) and numerous Chambers of Commerce and business associations.
Some other highlights of Joe’s interesting career include:
- Recipient of a US Small Business Administration (SBA) grant to help small businesses implement drug free workplace programs
- Recipient of US Department of Education grant to help private and public schools implement student drug testing programs
- October 2004 – featured in Florida Trend magazine as head cheerleader for drug testing
- In 2004 appointed by James McDonough, State of Florida, Governor’s Office of Drug Control to serve on the Drug Free Workplace task force
- 2003 – Traveled to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba to help implement a drug testing program and collector training courses for employees
- 2003 – 2005 – Provided oversight, training and auditing for urine specimen collections for Major League Baseball and Minor League Baseball drug testing and steroid testing national programs
- Member of SAPAA - The Substance Abuse Program Administrators Association - Promotes standards in the administration of workplace substance abuse prevention programs through education and training
- Member of NDASA - National Drug & Alcohol Screening Association advocating for safe and drug-free workplaces and communities through legislative advocacy, education, training and excellence in drug and alcohol testing services
- Master Trainer and Regional Trainer (M-CPCT and R-CPCT) – Drug & Alcohol Industry Testing Industry Association (DATIA) instructor for Certified Professional Collector Training Program (CPCT)
- Master Trainer – Breath Alcohol Testing - Evidential Breath Alcohol Testing, DOT and Non-DOT – Certified as a Master Trainer for Lifeloc Phoenix 6.0 and EV 30 Evidential Breath Alcohol Testing devices
- Past President of the Palm Bay Rotary Club
- Past Board member of the Palm Bay Chamber of Commerce
- Current member of the Melbourne Regional Chamber of Commerce; past board member and member of numerous other chambers of commerce
- September 2018 – Traveled to Dublin, Ireland as a participant in the International Forum for Drug and Alcohol Testing (IFDAT)
- Member since 1997 - the Drug & Alcohol Testing Industry Association (DATIA)
- Member since 2018 - National Drug & Alcohol Screening Association (NDASA)
- Member since 2015 – SHRM and South Brevard SHRM Chapter
- National course instructor for DATIA industry training courses – In’s & Outs of Drug Testing, Reasonable Suspicion Supervisor Training, Designated Employer Representative (DER) training and DOT urine specimen collector training
- May 2004 received DATIA’s Public Awareness Award
- June 2015 received DATIA Top Entrepreneur Award
- Served for over 12 years as board member for the Drug & Alcohol Testing Industry Association (DATIA) including four years as Chairman of the Board
Over the years, Reilly has been a presenter at many industry conferences, some of the more recent topics have included:
- NAPBS 2017 – Sell More Drug Testing
- DATIA 2018 - Big Easy Ideas to Grow Your Business
- DATIA 2015 - Best Practices for the TPA
- CEO Round Table – 2019 – Marijuana in Your Florida Workplace
- Washington DC Government (2017,2018,2019) – Designated Employer Representative (DER) Training
- Florida Trucking Association, 2013 - Substance Abuse and Safety in the Trucking Industry
In December of 2018, Joe Reilly was honored as a Business Leader of the Year by Space Coast Business magazine, a trusted voice for the Brevard County, Florida’s thriving business community. Joe was delighted to receive the Simpkins Entrepreneurial Award emphasizing his business passion, skills development, leveraging of experience and opportunistic thinking. With this award, Reilly celebrated 25 years in the drug and alcohol testing industry.
Joe Reilly Published Articles
|Is Your Workplace Drug Free?||Space Coast Business Magazine||03/2019|
|Marijuana in your Florida Workplace||Space Coast Business Magazine||12/2019|
|For National Drug Screening in Melbourne, business is starting to boom||Florida Today||07/2018|
|Drug Screening Company Helps with Workplace Issues||Florida Today||01/2016|
|Reasonable Suspicion Testing||A Guide for Workplace Supervisors, 69 pages||12/2016|
|Advanced Drug Testing Management – TPA Best Practices||Training Manual for DATIA Advanced Drug Testing Management training course||03/2015|
|What to Look for in a C/TPA or Program Manager||OH&S Occupational Health & Safety Magazine||09/2015|
|TPA Best Practices||DATIA focus||02/2015|
|Best Practices for Urine Collections||DATIA focus||10/2014|
|Drug Testing & Safety: What’s the Connection?||OH&S Occupational Health & Safety Magazine||09/2014|
|Eliminate Mistakes Before Your Collection Site Audit||DATIA focus – Headline Article||07/2014|
|Mistakes People Make - DER||DATIA focus||07/2011|
|Mistakes People Make - MRO||DATIA focus||10/2011|
|Mistakes People Make - Collectors||DATIA focus||12/2012|
|Mistakes People Make – Random Testing||DATIA focus||04/2012|
|Mistakes People Make – Collection site Audits||DATIA focus||07/2012|
|Mistakes People Make - TPA||DATIA focus||10/2012|
|Understanding the Process – Initial Steps to Selling Your Drug Testing Business||DATIA focus||07/2010|
|Getting into the Business – Drug & Alcohol Testing||DATIA focus – Headline Article||05/2011|