... Actually DOT does not certify specimen collectors. The DOT requirement is to be qualified to perform specimen collections. In order to qualify to perform DOT urine specimen collections for the DOT drug testing program, a collector must:
- Receive training on all steps necessary to complete a collection correctly and the proper completion and transmission of the CCF along with dealing with problem collections, fatal flaws and correctable flaws. The collector must also receive training on their responsibility for maintaining the integrity of the collection process, ensuring the privacy of employees being tested, ensuring the security of the specimen, and avoiding conduct or statements that could be viewed as offensive or inappropriate.
- Demonstrate proficiency in collections under this part by completing five consecutive error-free mock collections.
As an industry, the Drug and Alcohol Testing Industry Association has developed a comprehensive training and certification program. This program meets the DOT urine specimen qualification and training requirements listed above. If you are interested in performing DOT urine specimen collection, it is highly recommend you get certified as a Certified Professional Collector (CPC).
As a Regional CPCT for the DATIA program, Joe Reilly can assist you with this process. Joe can be reached at (321) 622-9959 or visit www.joereilly.com
Why is DATIA CPC Certification Important?
- Authority to use the CPC/CPCT designation on letterhead, business cards, and all forms of address.
- Receive a certificate attesting to your achievement.
- Recognition - By using your designation, you will be recognized as a drug and alcohol testing professional dedicated to providing superior services.
- Professional Development - Increased knowledge of all aspects of specimen collection is gained through training and preparation for the Certification Exam.
- Become a DATIA member and be listed in national online database as a Certified professional Collector
Ask a certified professional "why?" and they'll tell you that the certification process is one of the single most important steps you can make in career development.
Top Ten Reasons to Seek Certification
- Certification demonstrates your commitment to the profession. Receiving your certification shows your peers, supervisors and, in turn, the general public your commitment to your chosen career and your ability to perform to set standards. Certification sets you apart as a leader in your field.
- Certification enhances the profession's image. Association certification programs seek to grow, promote, and develop certified professionals, who can stand "out in front" as examples of excellence in the industry or field.
- Certification reflects achievement. A certified professional has displayed excellence in their field or industry and fulfilled set standards and requirements.
- Certification builds self-esteem. Association certification programs create a standard for a particular profession, complete with performance standards, ethics, and career paths. You'll see yourself as a certified professional, who can control his or her own professional destiny and find a deep sense of personal satisfaction.
- Certification establishes professional credentials. Since it recognizes your individual accomplishments, certification stands above your resume, serving as an impartial, third party endorsement to your knowledge and experience. And when the public looks for individuals qualified to perform services, they seek individuals-like you-who have achieved certification.
- Certification improves career opportunities and advancement. Certification gives you the "edge" when being considered for a promotion or other career opportunities. Certification clearly identifies you as an employee who can adapt to changes in work, technology, business practices, and innovation.
- Certification prepares you for greater on-the-job responsibilities. Since certification is a voluntary professional commitment to an industry or field of knowledge, it is a clear indicator of your willingness to invest in your own professional development. Certified professionals are aware of the constantly changing environment around their profession and possess the needed tools to anticipate and respond to change.
- Certification provides for greater earnings potential. As a certified professional, you can expect many benefits, but for today's downsized, right-sized, topsy-turvy working world, salary increases speak for themselves.
- Certification improves skills and knowledge. Ideally, achieving certification shows your individual competence by confirming proficiency and career involvement and assuring knowledge.
- Certification offers greater professional recognition from peers. Hear that applause? It's all for you! As a certified professional you can expect increased recognition from your peers for taking that extra step in your professional development.
DOT Specimen Collection Training
Consultant: Joe Reilly, Joe Reilly & Associates, Inc.
Specific DOT requirements for collector training are listed on the following two pages. Note: DOT requires refresher training and mock collections every five years.
Training Proposal: Qualification training and proficiency demonstration for DOT collector qualification.
Training is in three parts:
Step 1: Pre-Training required; self-study reading and video clips
Step 2: Live Training Webinar 1.5 hours
Step 3: Required Proficiency Demonstration
Completion of five mock collections in front of a trainer qualified to monitor DOT collections, approximately 2 hours per person. Completed via remote computer with webcam.
Note: Steps 2 and 3 can be performed with live training, call for quote for travel expense, live training is discounted for 5+ collectors.
Includes DATIA CPC manual, exam and Certified Professional Collector (CPC) certification.
Once payment and registration is received homework assignments will be sent via e-mail and the client will receive a phone call to schedule the Webinar training and required proficiency demonstration – mock collections. DATIA manual will be shipped via UPS. The final step is the DATIA CPC online exam.
Please call Julie Floriano at 321 622 9959 for any questions