Oral Fluid Drug Test Panels
Oral fluid drug screening has become increasingly popular. Typically employers do their own specimen collections for oral fluid testing. Without advance set up, our nationwide drug test centers do not provide the specimen collections for oral fluid drug testing.
Comparing to urine and hair drug tests, oral fluid is best at detecting recent drug use. Drugs take time to metabolize and pass through the system in a urine test, and the same drugs are incorporated as hair grows and it takes time for the drug to be present in the hair above the scalp. But an oral fluid test will often detect drugs in a donor’s system immediately after use. This makes oral fluid testing ideal for both reasonable suspicion and post-accident testing. The very recent use of drugs will be detected with the oral fluid testing.
The first step with oral fluid drug testing is have a specimen collection device. The picture at the right shows several available collection devices that our laboratories accept as follows:
- Alere Toxicology – Intercept Oral Fluid Collection Device (OraSure Technologies)
- LabCorp – Quantisal Oral Fluid Collection Device (Immunalysis Corporation)
- Clinical Reference Labs – Intercept Oral Fluid Collection Device (OraSure Technologies)
- Quest Diagnostics - Oral-Eze Oral Fluid Collection System
Employers who want to implement oral fluid drug testing will need training on the specific oral fluid test to be utilized and will need to pre-order the oral fluid collection kits. The oral fluid collection kits are typically $4.00 each, the cost of testing is then billed for each test upon completion. Minimum order for the collection devices is quantity 10.
Available Oral Fluid Drug Test Panels:
- 5 Panel Drug Test – Amphetamines - Methamphetamines, Cocaine, Marijuana (THC), Opiates, Phencyclidine (PCP)
- 9 Panel Drug Test - Amphetamines - Methamphetamines, Cocaine, Marijuana (THC), Opiates, Phencyclidine (PCP), Benzodiazepines, Barbiturates, Methadone and Propoxyphene
- The oral fluid panels include in the Opiates panel: (Codeine, Hydrocodone, Hydromorphone, 6-MAM - Heroin & Morphine)
- Oxycodone is typically a separate panel
- Cotinine Testing - Nicotine
- Ethanol alcohol or ETOH can be added to any panel or can be a stand-alone panel