Each DOT agency maintains employee categories to designate covered or safety sensitive employees subject to DOT drug and alcohol testing. See the list of covered employee categories below:
- FMCSA (one category): Driver
- FAA (nine categories): Flight Crewmember; Flight Attendant; Flight Instructor; Aircraft Dispatcher; Aircraft Maintenance and preventive maintenance; Ground Security Screener; Aviation Screener; Air Traffic Controller; Operations Control Specialist
- PHMSA (one category): Operation/Maintenance/Emergency Response
- FRA (seven categories): Engine Service; Train Service; Dispatcher/Operation; Signal Service; Other [Includes yardmasters, hostlers (non-engineer craft), bridge tenders; switch tenders, and other miscellaneous employees performing 49 CFR 228.5 (c) defined covered service.]; Roadway Worker/Maintenance-of-Way [as defined in 49 CFR Part 214.7]; and/or employees performing Mechanical functions (MECH) duties covered by the definition of “Mechanical Employees” in §219.5.
- USCG (one category): Crewmember
- FTA (five categories): Revenue Vehicle Operation; Revenue Vehicle and Equipment Maintenance; Revenue Vehicle Control/Dispatch; CDL/Non-Revenue Vehicle; Armed Security Personnel