Employers subject to DOT or USCG drug and alcohol testing regulations must submit their annual drug and alcohol testing data as required by their respective DOT Agency or the USCG. The annual drug and alcohol testing data being submitted for a specific calendar year is to be submitted by March 15th of the following calendar year. The data required is a statistical report of all final MRO results for the year.
Submittal of the Drug and Alcohol Management Information System (MIS) reports for most employers is upon request from the DOT operating administration of which you are regulated. See below requirements for each of the DOT operating administrations or agencies.
The employer is responsible for the report but typically the employer requests assistance from the MRO or the TPA. If there are multiple MRO’s for an employer program, the MIS report will have to be created using data from each MRO, this makes is more difficult.
- FMCSA regulated employers submit the reports only upon request from the FMCSA.
- FAA or PHMSA regulated employers less than 50 employees submit the reports only upon request from the FAA or PHMSA.
- FAA or PHMSA regulated employers with more than 50 employees must submit the MIS reports each year.
- All FRA and FTA regulated employers must submit the MIS reports.
- All marine employers must submit drug testing program data annually, drug test data, no alcohol testing data.
When requested or required the DOT MIS reports are due by March 15 of the year following the collection of the data. The MIS report is a statistical report of all drug & alcohol test result data as reported by the Medical Review Officer (MRO).
A good drug testing software management system connected to your MRO service will provide instantly the required DOT MIS reports. Without a good drug testing software management system the creation of the DOT MIS reports can be a challenge.
Contact National Drug screening for drug testing software and MRO services.