National Drug Screening provides drug testing in Florida for individuals and employers. Call 866-843-4545.
For immediate drug testing, DOT drug testing, POCT drug testing panels, hair follicle testing, EtG testing, and employer programs for drug and alcohol testing, look no further than the experts at National Drug Screening. Call us to schedule your drug test or order your test online today.
Will Florida pass medical marijuana legislation? Will employers in Florida fire employees who smoke marijuana? Can I get a job if I smoke marijuana? These and many other questions are being asked by both employers and individuals who currently reside in the state of Florida. Keep reading to learn more about how drug testing or testing positive for THC/marijuana can affect your employment status.
Florida was an early adapter of drug free workplace programs and drug testing programs. Drug and alcohol testing occurs from Pensacola to Miami to Key West. In Florida, a company maintaining a comprehensive drug free workplace is eligible for a 5% discount on worker compensation insurance.
In 1990, legislation was enacted that created the Florida drug-free workplace program. The intent was to “promote drug-free workplaces in Florida, in order that employers (would) be afforded the opportunity to maximize their levels of productivity, enhance their competitive positions in the marketplace, and reach their desired levels of success without experiencing the costs, delays, and tragedies associated with work-related accidents resulting from drug abuse by employees.”
This legislation provides standardized criteria for employers and the worker’s rights by ensuring consistent, accurate and reliable test results. The success of a Florida drug-free program largely depends upon the commitment of management and labor to actively contribute to and support the implementation of the program. By using the guidelines set forth in the Florida workers’ compensation law, the workplace will be a safer place. A safer workplace may mean fewer accidents, and fewer accidents means lower workers’ compensation costs for the employer. Ultimately, implementing drug testing programs in Florida saves money.
Employees in Florida with a verified positive drug test may face denial of unemployment compensation and after an accident, with a verified positive drug test an employee may face denial of worker's compensation medical and indemnity benefits. In Florida, compensation is not payable if the injury was occasioned primarily by the intoxication of the employee; by the influence of any drugs, barbiturates, or other stimulants not prescribed by a physician; or by the willful intention of the employee to injure or kill himself, herself, or another.
Florida employers take advantage of the Florida drug free workplace. Of course, DOT drug and alcohol testing occurs in Florida monitored by the United States Department of Transportation and the Florida Department of Transportation.
Point of collection or instant or on-site drug testing is allowed in Florida, along with laboratory based oral fluid testing and hair testing. rapid drug testing in Florida allows for negative results to be reported instantly.
Preference shall be given to Florida businesses with drug-free workplace programs. Pursuant to section 287.087, Florida statutes, whenever two or more competitive solicitations that are equal with respect to price, quality, and service are received by the state or by any political subdivision for the procurement of commodities or contractual services, a response received from a business that certifies that it has implemented a drug-free workplace program shall be given preference in the award process.
Florida has a voluntary drug testing law. For companies that wish to qualify for a 5% discount on their workers’ compensation premiums, they must comply with this law; other companies are not mandated to comply with the statute. Certain construction contractors must comply with this law. Florida school bus drivers are required to be drug tested.
Each Florida construction contractor regulated under part I of chapter 489, and each electrical contractor and alarm system contractor regulated under part II of chapter 489, who contracts to perform construction work under a state contract for educational facilities governed by chapter 1013, for public property or publicly owned buildings governed by chapter 255, or for state correctional facilities governed by chapter 944, shall implement a drug-free workplace program under this section.
Benefits of a Drug Free Workplace Program in Florida
The Florida drug free workplace program has many benefits and features listed below:
- employees will become more aware of safety in the workplace and will benefit from a safer work environment – fewer accidents on the job
- after a positive drug test, an employee who loses a job may not qualify for unemployment compensation benefits
- when refusing a drug test an injured employee may forfeit eligibility for workers’ compensation benefits
- when an employee tests positive on a post-accident drug test, the employee may not be entitled to workers’ compensation benefits
- decrease in absenteeism, mistakes at work, theft in the workplace, and problems with supervisors
- increase in productivity, competitiveness and employee morale
- 5% credit to workers’ compensation insurance premium
- comprehensive written drug-free workplace policy (must have all provisions of Florida statute 440.102)
- 60 day notice provided for initial testing of existing employees
- maintain confidentiality
- provide list of over-the-counter medications which can alter or affect drug test results
- list of resources for employee assistance program (EAP)
- include notice of the drug free workplace (dfw) on vacancy announcements for open positions
- educate employees about the program
- use of SAMSHA or Florida ahca certified laboratory
- use of a certified medical review officer (MRO)
- implement testing: pre-employment, reasonable suspicion, follow-up, routine fitness for duty, optional random testing
- file for 09-1 with insurance carrier annually to get the 5% credit
National Drug Screening is the leading provider of drug and alcohol tests in the state of Florida. We have hundreds of locations throughout the state and can help you schedule any kind of test, whether it be for employment, court ordered testing, probation testing, DOT compliance or consortium testing. If you need a drug or alcohol test, call National Drug Screening today at 866-843-4545.